Festivals and Events in Ireland [amended 9 May 2012]
There is always something to celebrate from the past in Ireland - most events are just an excuse for drinking! Here are some relevant to the greater Dublin area and beyond:
- 9 January 2013: BT Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition. The cream of Irish talent can be seen at the RDS (near Landsdowne Road DART station) and it is well worth a look.
- March: Arklow Music Festival. This is primarily a schools competition and the choral competitions are well worth attending. Arklow is on the Dublin-Rosslaire rail line.
- March: St Patricks Festival. The big one at a town or city in Ireland but especially Dublin. The Saint's day is 17 March.
- May: Vale of Avoca Melody Fair, Co. Wicklow [Avoca is the BBC's location for "Ballykisangel" - end of May] NOTE: This festival is sadly defunct, following a fire at the Vale hotel.
- May: Fleadh Nua, Ennis, Co. Clare. Trad Irish music & culture.
- May 2-6, 2012: Cork International Choral Festival
- June: Skerries Arts Festival, Co. Dublin
- June: Kildare Derby festival (coincides with Irish major horse race)
- June 29 - July 7, 2012: West Cork Chamber Music, Bantry. Top artistes and fantastic settings.
- July: Liberties Festival, Dublin [The Liberties is an area west of St. Patrick's Cathedral).
- July 21-28, 2012; Joe Mooney Summer School in Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim. Plenty of Ceol agus craic (music and fun)!
- July (end of): Donabate/Portrane Summer Festival, Co. Dublin (easy access by train)
- July 16-29, 2012: Galway Arts. What better excuse to visit the west in July?
- August3-5, 2012: Waterford's Spraoi Street Festival, with plenty of music and entertainment.
- August: Bray International Festival of Dance and Music, Co. Wicklow (easy access by DART). I hope it is happening this year.
- August 10-19, 2012: Kilkenny Arts Festival - friendly and fun festival in a great little city.
- August 20-22,2012: Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann at Cavan, Co. Cavan. Weekend of trad and the craic is mighty.
- September - October: Dublin Theatre Festival 27 September- 14 October 2012
- October: Wexford Opera Festival 24 October - 4 November, 2012.
- October: Guinness Cork Jazz Festival, Cork October 2012? Awaiting dates.
- October: Belfast Festival at Queen's 19 October- 4 November 2012.
- November 21-22, 2012: St Patrick's Cathedral: Messiah (Culwick Choral Society), in aid of MS Ireland
< previous | next >