Festivals and Events in Ireland [amended 1 July 2013]
There is always something to celebrate from the past in Ireland - most events are just an excuse for drinking! Here are some relevant to the greater Dublin area and beyond:
- ? January 2014: BT Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition. The cream of Irish talent can be seen at the RDS (near Landsdowne Road DART station) and it is well worth a look.
- March: Arklow Music Festival. This is primarily a schools competition and the choral competitions are well worth attending. Arklow is on the Dublin-Rosslaire rail line.
- March: St Patricks Festival. The big one at a town or city in Ireland but especially Dublin. The Saint's day is 17 March.
- May: Vale of Avoca Melody Fair, Co. Wicklow [Avoca is the BBC's location for "Ballykisangel" - end of May] NOTE: This festival is sadly defunct, following a fire at the Vale hotel.
- May: Fleadh Nua, Ennis, Co. Clare. Trad Irish music & culture.
- June: Skerries Arts Festival, Co. Dublin
- June: Kildare Derby festival (coincides with Irish major horse race)
- June 28 - July 6, 2013: West Cork Chamber Music, Bantry. Top artistes and fantastic settings.
- July: Liberties Festival, Dublin [The Liberties is an area west of St. Patrick's Cathedral).
- July 20-27, 2013; Joe Mooney Summer School in Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim. Plenty of Ceol agus craic (music and fun)!
- July (end of): Donabate/Portrane Summer Festival, Co. Dublin (easy access by train)
- July 15-28, 2013: Galway Arts. What better excuse to visit the west in July?
- August 2-4, 2013: Waterford's Spraoi Street Festival, with plenty of music and entertainment.
- August: Bray International Festival of Dance and Music, Co. Wicklow (easy access by DART). I hope it is happening this year.
- August 9-18, 2013: Kilkenny Arts Festival - friendly and fun festival in a great little city.
- August 11-18, 2013: Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann at Derry/Londonderry, Co. Derry. Weekend of trad and the craic is mighty.
- September - October: Dublin Theatre Festival 26 September- 13 October 2013
- October: Wexford Opera Festival 23 October - 3 November, 2013.
- October: Guinness Cork Jazz Festival, Cork 25-28 October 2013
- October: Belfast Festival at Queen's 17-27 October 2013.
< previous | next >
Dublin music 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8