< previous | next >
Football (15 a side)
The idea is to score goals by getting the (round) ball into the oppositions goal or over the goal upright for points. The ball can be handled but only carried for four paces by which time it must be passed by punching or kicking to another team member. Tackling is basically a barging move from the shoulders and the ball can only be collected with the foot.
Our most distinguished television commentator is Michael O' Muircheartaigh and he is quite a character! Here are some of his best moments live!
- "Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. Its over the bar. This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery. The ball is kicked out by Declan O'Keeffe its dropping......"
- "1-5 to 0-8.. well from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any man's language".
- "Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now ... but here comes Joe Rabbit hot on his tail ...... I've seen it all now, a Rabbit chasing a Fox around Croke Park !"
- "Pat Fox out to the forty and grabs the sliothar, I bought a dog from his father last week. Fox turns and sprints for goal, the dog ran a great race last Tuesday in Limerick. Fox to the 21 fires a shot, it goes to the left and wide..... and the dog lost as well."
- "Sean Og o Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold"
- "Teddy McCarthy to John McCarthy, no relation, John McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation "
RTE, our national broadcasting station, relayed the All-Ireland Football Finals on short-wave bands last 23 September. It was heard in Africa, north and south America, the Antipodes and Asia. I'll try and get the details for next year's final and publish them in advance.
top of page