YOU ARE HERE: RIVER PODDLE 2
Closer shot of River Poddle grating
Close up of the Poddle and Liffey confluence (below). The grille is not visible during high tides as the Liffey is tidal at this point. A confluence is a meeting of water, normally rivers.
Importance of the River Poddle to Dublin
From ancient times the Poddle was an important part of Dublin - in recent years Dubliners have forgotten its influence since it is completely hidden within the city centre area. Here is a brief history:
- Ancient times: The Poddle is the origin for Dublin's name; the pond or lake formed by the River Poddle was called 'dubh linn' in the Irish language. This roughly translates as 'black pool'.
- Medieval period: Poddle provided a constant source of usable water for the citizens of the city; workers constructed the "old watercourse" as a branch from the River Dodder in Tallaght (Balrothery-Firhouse).
- Medieval period: The 'Tongue', the name given by Dubliners for an artificial medieval division in the River Poddle near Mount Argus, supplied water through a new course via Dolphin's Barn and St. James's basin, returning to the Poddle at the Liberties (Blackpitts/Warrenmount/Fumbally Lane).
- Medieval period: Dublin castle's defense system incorporated the course of the Poddle at its southern walls, making it difficult for assult from outside
- 1592: The Poddle aids the famous escape of Red Hugh O'Donnell and Art O' Neill as they escapes through a toilet [privy] in Dublin castle and into the Poddle
- 1798: The Poddle formed an assembly area for part of the Rebellion, where 200 men bearing arms attacked the English.
- Late nineteenth-century: The Poddle, now culverted, caused frequent flooding and constant dampless in St Patrick's Cathedral. During a major reconstruction of the cathedral, the graves of Dean Jonathan Swift and Stella were moved to their present location, due to the influence of the Poddle.
< previous | photo index | next >
River Poddle's hidden grating, Dublin